Künstler: How to Get a German Freelance Visa as an American Artist

The Neckar river flows through the German town of Tübingen

It’s not easy. In typical American fashion, I walked into the Ausländerbehörde naively expecting to receive a visa to do freelance work as I pleased with little to no time or effort. Generally I’m not so confident in these sorts of situations, but judging from blog posts across the web from fellow artists (primarily in Berlin), it was going to be a cakewalk. Granted, maybe in 2004 it was easier, and Berlin is clearly a more art-and-design-friendly city than the mid-sized Baden-Württemberg town of Tübingen. Whatever the case, what followed was a multi-month struggle against the forces of bureaucracy and language barriers.

The following is my personal advice based on my recent (August 2012) experience applying for and obtaining a Freelance Artist Visa in Tübingen, Germany.

The process can be both frustrating and difficult, but it is certainly possible. Freelancing is less common in Germany, so you will need to work a little harder to convince the immigration authorities that you can make a living and take care of yourself without mooching off government social services.

Note: Once you begin the process of applying for your visa, you don’t need to worry about overstaying your 90-day Schengen Visa. Your visa is automatically extended until the point your application is either approved or denied.


This guide assumes that you are:

a) a passport-holding American
b) an Artist, Photographer, Graphic Designer, or similar freelance professional
c) already living/travelling in Germany with your 90-day Schengen visa
d) applying for a 1-2 year freelance visa


What you’ll need:

-A German friend
-Anmeldung (Residency Declaration)
-The application form
-Your American Passport
-2 Biometric passport photos
-Proof of Health Insurance Coverage
-A German Bank account
-€100 for the application fee
-Freelance Contracts
-Letter of Recommendation from a German citizen (optional)
-Portfolio samples
-Anything else thats convincing



The first step in applying for a visa is the Anmeldung. Do this as soon as possible after your arrival in Germany! There’s nothing German beamters dislike more than the impression that you (an American) are not taking your visa application seriously. I waited until 2 weeks before my Schengen Visa expired and they’re were clearly not amused. The Anmeldung is probably the simplest step in the process. The Anmeldung is a written declaration of who you are and where you live, submitted to your local Ausländerbehörde. If you don’t already know, the Ausländerbehörde is the Foreigners/Alien Office that will be handling all of your application paperwork along the way. In small to medium sized towns, you usually won’t need an appointment. Just show up, take a number, and wait for a few minutes. If you’re in a city, check online or give them a call to set up an appointment. It’s very similar to the DMV back in the States. Anyway, in order to submit your Anmeldung, you will need either a rental agreement or a the person you are living with to come along and vouch for you. You’ll simply fill out a 1-page form and they’ll scan your passport. After you’ve received your copy, step one is done.

Tip: It helps tremendously to bring along a German-speaking friend/girlfriend/boyfriend, especially if your German language skills are lacking.


Freiberufler or Selbständiger?

Generally in the US, we would refer to a “freelancer” as “self-employed.” The meanings are essentially synonymous. However, in Germany “self-employed” refers specifically to entrepreneurs and business owners. This can make it a little confusing when you are initially explaining your situation and filling out your application. Unless you plan on starting a business and hiring employees, you will want to refer to yourself specifically as a Freiberufler (Freelancer) and NOT as a Selbständiger (Self-Employed).


Money in the Bank

After submitting your Anmeldung, the real work begins. First and foremost, you’ll want to open a German bank account. For your visa application, you will need to prove via bank statements and contracts for work that you have enough money to provide for yourself. In my case, they expected €800/month (which translates to €9,600/year). Realistically, this is more than double the amount I’ve been spending since arriving in Germany 6 months ago, but they are firm with that number. They told me that they will only accept statements from a German bank, but I was ultimately able to submit both statements from my Deutschebank account and from my US-based savings account. The more money you have in your account, the better. If necessary, I’ve heard of people borrowing money from friends or family or taking out a loan while the visa application processes. If you happen to have ~€10,000 lying around in your bank account, I imagine that you can prove your year’s worth of financial security without submitting any contracts and can therefore skip the next step.



Since most of us don’t have enough money saved to cover an entire year of living expenses at €800/month, you will need freelance contracts and/or letters from future clients. The Ausländerbehörde’s €800 number can be met based on a combination of your current savings and your expected future income. So, if you can only prove €200/month with your bank statements, you will need contracts for at least €600/month of income. If you haven’t already, start looking for and finding potential clients and future projects that you can put down on paper. You will want to include estimates and corresponding, signed contracts in your final application portfolio.


Health Insurance

Getting German health insurance (Krankenversicherung) is near-impossible for Americans (and other foreigners) on a limited visa. Yet, you will need health insurance coverage that explicitly meets the requirements of German law in order to be approved for a visa. This can be the most difficult and frustrating part of the process. The internet is full of misinformation and non-information regarding this topic. I eventually found the easiest solution was to find a private health insurance broker that specialized in expatriates. A broker will make sure you get the correct insurance coverage and their consultation is free, since they receive commission from insurance companies. I ended up with international health insurance from ALC (a subsidiary of health insurance provider AXA) that is surprisingly cheaper than German Privatkrankenversicherung and covers me all over the EU. Just remember, it is absolutely essential that your health insurance specifically meets the requirements of German law and that your policy comes with paperwork (in German) specifically stating this.


Assorted Additional Paperwork

Paperwork will be your best friend by the time you finally get your visa. The rules that the Ausländerbehörde must follow in order to grant you a visa seem to vary on a case-to-case basis. With that in mind, the more paperwork (especially stamped and/or signed) that you can submit as part of your application, the better. Include things like your business card, cv/resumé, letters of recommendation, samples of your work and anything else that makes it appear that you are comfortably adapting to life (and work) in Deutschland.


Getting your German Freelance Visa

Once you have your application completed and all your paperwork in order. Head back to the Ausländerbehörde and submit everything in a nice folder. If they are satisfied with your paperwork, you’ll pay a €100 application fee (keep your receipt!), scan your finger prints, and sign a few forms confirming that everything you have submitted is true and authentic. They’ll give you a couple pamphlets (in English if you want) and let you know that confirmation will arrive in the mail after a few weeks. Once you receive your letter, you can head back to the Ausländerbehörde once again, where you will receive an Electronic Residence Permit (eAT) card along with the conditions of your visa.

Disclaimer: I am not an immigration lawyer and I can’t guarantee that your experience and requirements will be the same. Please don’t get upset (and don’t be surprised) if your experience applying for a German Freelance Visa is completely different.

If you have any additional questions, please leave a comment. I’ll try my best to help. Good luck with your application!

Update (March 31, 2013) After spending a year living in Germany, I’ve returned to San Francisco where I am living and working full time. However, I’m still happy to offer what advice I can. While the comment section for this post is now closed, if you have any questions, feel free to write me using the “Contact” section of the site.


I had a recent conversation with Jordan Chamberlain of DesignFad and he a few tips of his own for the application process based on his experience with the Ausländerbehörde in Lörrach:

In my experience, smaller towns handle the process differently from everything I’ve read about online in bigger cities.
  1. Smaller towns aren’t as familiar with the process. The Ausländerberhörde refers to a big legal book for the regulations, which in my case, turned out to be out of date. You can’t tell an immigration official her job, so be prepared for a little wasted time as they figure it out on their own.
  2. The upside of a small town for me was that I had singular physical contacts with whom I have good relationships at both the Ausländerberhörde and the IHK, as opposed to in larger cities where it sounds like the experience is more like the DMV, in which case you build no report as you go through the process.
  3. The Ausländerberhörde in Lörrach insisted that I get in touch with someone at the IHK. The person I needed was someone in charge of Freelancers, whom you can find on their Web site under “Services A-Z”. Don’t bother going to the IHK. Just give them a call or write an Email.
  4. The IHK required me to submit a business plan, which is crazy for a freelancer, but after some looking I found a solid example of a freelance graphic design “agency” using a Web app called Liveplan.com. It cost me $20, refundable, and about six hours to creat. Just remember to cancel your subscription after you’re done. Here’s the example: http://www.bplans.com/graphic_design_business_plan/executive_summary_fc.php#.UUGP31s6Vgo
  5. Because I don’t speak passable German, as part of my residence Visa I was told that I would need to complete an “integration course” including 600 hours of German language lessons and an orientation section, all paid 50% by the German government. I’m still looking into this. Sounds like it might not apply to me, but I need to research more.



15 thoughts on “Künstler: How to Get a German Freelance Visa as an American Artist

  1. THANKS sooo much for posting this! I am a writer/performer/teacher and I am applying for my freelance visa. I came into Europe July 27th, yet landed in Berlin Sept. 2. I set my appointment for the residency visa for Oct. 4. Then when I realized how long it would take to get a residence, changed the appointment to October 15…10 days before my tourist visa is up. I am wondering if the immigration official will note that It is so close to the end and just immediately deny my visa. I am a journalist, working all over the world, and have more than enough money for one year to live. Kindly let me know what you think! Radiant Cheers Tara

    1. Hi Tara,
      Everyone seems to have different experience with their application. However, I haven’t heard of anyone being denied outright based on when they begin the process. As soon as you begin the application process, your visa is automatically extended until the point where you receive a decision. Financial security seems to be the most important factor in the auslanderbehordes decision. I would recommend having as much of your application portfolio completed as possible BEFORE your appointment. Bank statements and health insurance coverage should be your main priority. The beamter may be annoyed by the the lateness of your application (as in my case), but as long as you are prepared, you shouldnt have a serious problem.
      Best of luck in your application and feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

  2. I am an American with a freelancer’s two year visa to live in Berlin, but I need to take a year in England to fulfil an assignment. I am worried about renewing my visa when I return. Will there be a problem if my bank account is somewhat stagnant and I’ve been living away from Berlin for the last year? I really appreciate any guidance about this concern.

    Your website is just gold! Thank you.

    1. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience pertaining to this issue. However, from what I’ve heard, you are required to submit an “abmeldung” before you change your residency status (e.g. take up residence in the UK). I would definitely recommend asking someone at the ausländerbehörde about this directly.

  3. Hi! Thanks so much for posting this! I am hoping to move to the Nürnberg area in January. I am a self employed ballroom and yoga instructor here in the US. I will be applying for the freelance/ artist visa. Do you have any idea if my profession qualifies for this visa? If I arrive with enough money for a year for myself and my daughter do they still require contracts for work?? Thank you so much for posting this info!!

    1. I imagine your profession will fall under the freelance visa domain. By the description given to me by the ausländerbehörde, the “artist” visa can apply to freelance professionals working in all fields of “the arts.” This can include visual artists, musicians, writers, photographers, and graphic designers. It only seems natural that dance instructors would fit into this category as well. When your visa is issued, you will receive a little pamphlet that states exactly the type of work you are allowed to do in Germany.

      Having enough money saved for a year’s worth of expenses will certainly help, but in my case they also stressed the importance of proving that I actually had upcoming work. Once you arrive in Germany, you will have 3 months before your Schengen visa expires. While it is very important that you begin the application process as soon as possible, you do not necessarily need to have everything ready at once. If your bank statements (along with the rest of your application portfolio) do not suffice, the ausländerbehörde will give you extra time to come up with contracts.

  4. Austin, Thank you! super super helpful. i moved to berlin two months ago from boston and ive finally found some freelance work i can live off of so im rushing to get my application in as soon as possible. i am just wondering if you have any (additional) advice on writing contracts. i have current and future work but im not sure the best way to write something up without it seeming completely fake and unprofessional.

    thanks again!


    1. Hey Kevin, I’m glad you found my post helpful. I’ve found the easiest way to go about writing contracts is to find a good template and customize it to fit your needs. I built my own template using “Contract Killer” by Andy Clarke as a starting point. More information about that is available here: http://stuffandnonsense.co.uk/projects/contract-killer/. Once I finished editing, rewriting, and modifying the copy to fit my needs, I slapped on my logo, contact info, and gave the contract a nice professional layout. There are a ton of free resources and tutorials on building contracts online. A quick google search (as you’ve probably already figured out) will yield a lot more specific information for contract writing in your respective field of work.

      For the Ausländerbehörde, its also VERY important to include an estimate (or invoice if the work has already been completed) with your contracts. They need to see how much money you expect to make for each project. For my application, I submitted signed copies of my current contracts, as well as signed invoices from previous work. In the case of invoices that had already been paid, I also included a copy of the check/receipts from bank transfers/some type of proof of payment. It truly seems like the more paperwork you submit, the better your chance of coming across as a serious freelancer. So don’t hesitate to submit a stack of contracts/estimates/invoices.

  5. Hi!! and thanks so much for your article. I just received my freelance visa and I am a photographer. My question now though is can i also do other freelance work. I’ve been offered a position to work doing some personal assisting/administrative work. Am I technically breaking the law if I do this?
    hmmm. not sure you have the answers but I’d be delighted to hear what you think.
    Thanks again!!

    1. Did you receive a little green pamphlet with you eAT card? If so, that should state the limitations/restrictions/conditions of your freelance visa. In my case, the pamphlet specifically says that I am allowed to be hired as a freelancer in the field of Graphic Design. Any work in an unrelated field would require a different visa. If you’re doing assisting/admin work for a photographer, you are almost certainly within the limits of your visa. If not, you may want to check with the Ausländerbehörde…

  6. Hello, good to hear some information on this topic that is actually current. I’m a U.S. citizen, here on the Schengan Visa. I’ll be applying for my visa in the next couple of weeks to stay in Germany as a freelance music instructor. I’ve got a few contracts to submit, clients that I’ve been working with over the last couple of months. My question is this: is it not technically illegal to have done freelance work in Germany without having been approved for a freelance visa yet? Should I have already registered with the Finanzamt for a tax number? People seem to pretty unanimously agree that having contracts from work you’ve already done in German is good, but I’m having trouble finding any first-hand experience with this particular issue on the web. Any help you all can give would be great!

    1. Hey Luke,

      Thanks for your comment. As far as I can tell, this is kind of a grey area, as you are expected to find freelance work in order to justify obtaining your visa, yet not technically allowed to work without it. I was in a similar situation prior to the approval of my work visa. I tried to safe-guard myself from any potentially awkward questions by keeping the contracted work I submitted as (“technically”) incomplete (e.g. not formally accepting payment, project not yet finished, work pending visa approval, etc).

      As far as your tax number is concerned, I received mine via mail about a week after submitting my Anmeldung. (even before finishing my visa application). The good news is, as a freelancer you don’t really have to worry about filing taxes until your income surpasses €8000 (More information on that is available here: http://www.expatica.com/de/finance_business/business/tax-and-freelancers-in-germany-14037.html ). This should give you some time to deal with the stress of the German tax system at a later date.

  7. Hey there, so I’ve applied for the freelance artist visa … and got the HansMerkur insurance which is a whopping 200 euros/month … I checked the quote for the one recommened and it’s about 312 euros/quater-of-a-year, so it’s about 80/month … Is that how much you’re paying about? I only ask b/c it seems so low to me and just want to make sure it’s the right quote … thanks :)

    1. Yes, that’s about what I am paying. Were you actually able to get HansMerkur insurance? The person I spoke with from their company told me that they will not take anyone on a limited visa…

Comments are closed.